How many times have you continued an activity without a break?
For example, you are very passionate about a project or a new hobby that you’ve started. Do you try to finish the project without taking breaks, without paying any attention to sleep and other important daily self-care routines?
When you literally dive into something like this without a proper self-care routine, you run the risk of burnout. This can also lead to procrastination. You may collapse after this intense period of activity and not want to start the activity again. Once in a while all of us do this. We will work non-stop to meet a deadline or get too engrossed in an activity and it is okay. But if this becomes a habit, it has to change.
Non-stop and intense activity periods may be fuelled by one or more of these reasons:
- Not wanting to take a break till you get a satisfactory result.
- Thinking that taking breaks will decrease your concentration.
- You don’t feel good enough about yourself and your work/activity is a way of proving to yourself that you are good enough.
- You believe that work is superior to rest.
- You believe in all or nothing thinking. Either do it all or not do at all.
- You believe if you don’t do ALL, you will fail in it
- You belief in ‘perfect’ results and won’t rest till the end result is ‘Perfect’.
How does this impact you? It will:
- Drain you of energy.
- Cause burnout
- Impact your physical health
- Disrupt your sleep
- Reduce motivation to do other things
What can help?
- Not letting the activity affect your sleep, exercise and eating routine.
- Taking regular breaks, even if they are short.
- Having control over any new activity that you undertake.
- Listening to your body and taking breaks when it’s screaming for rest.
Even though when I dive into something, I don’t take breaks, I have a pattern of engaging in an activity non-stop, I accept and forgive myself.
Even though I cannot stop once I start something, I neglect my emotional and physical health, I would like to forgive myself.
EB- I don’t get up till I finish something
EC-I tend to push myself
UE- I feel I need to do it properly
UN- If I don’t do ALL, I’m going to fail, or not do well.
CH- – The more time I spend at something, the better the outcome will be.
CB -If I don’t spend that time I feel it’s not good enough.
UA- I procrastinate anything that takes a lot of energy for me.
TOP OF HEAD- I avoid it because I know if get absorbed into it, I won’t take breaks.
(Add whatever comes up for you)
EB- What if there is a better way of doing things? What if I do a little daily?
EC- What if I can get work done without collapsing, procrastinating or losing motivation?
UE- What if I take breaks and engage in micro self-care practices to get better results, without getting burnt out?
UN-I choose to take breaks and give myself the rest that my mind and body deserve.
CH- If I take breaks, then I will be able to feel better even after the work is done. I won’t collapse. I won’t procrastinate.
CB- I choose to take frequent breaks.
UA- I choose to do a little daily.
TOP OF HEAD – I choose to make self-care a priority. This way I can get more work done.