Shattering the illusion of an unbiased mind: Uncovering and transforming your biases
According to Laura S brown, “By the time that our first client, not to speak of trauma survivor, enters the office, the average psychotherapist will have had multiple experiences of classically conditioned associations with the visual, auditory, kinesthetic, and other sensory cues presented by that individual. The psychotherapist will have bias simply by virtue of being human”
Therefore as EFT practitioners and psychotherapists, we need to understand the nature of biases and how to work on them. Even if you are not a therapist you will benefit by understanding and working on your biases.
In this 20 minutes presentation, the following topics are covered:
1)We are all biased in one way or the other; we only have an illusion of an unbiased state.
2) How we are coded to notice difference
3) The neurological underpinnings of Bias
- Role of the mirror neurons: Mirror neurons in the target person(the one you are biased against) can literally read your discomfort.
- Implicit bias is supported by Amygdala.
4) Types of biases: Explicit (overt), Implicit (non-conscious) and Aversive racism
5) How do we acquire biases?
6) EFT protocol for transforming implicit biases:
- Self Reflection Exercise
- Uncovering, acknowledging with compassion and transforming implicit biases.
We need to become aware of these biases especially the implicit (non-conscious) biases. Only when we are aware, can we transform these biases with compassion.
“ the key … Is to be aware of the patterns we fall into when summing people up, and to learn to hold our views lightly and be more open to finding out about the people in front of us – Phillipa Perry.
Here’s the presentation: